Progressively Covering Full Curriculum
Persistently Enhancing Platform Functions
STAR is an online assessment item bank with more than 62,000 assessment items covering the subjects of Chinese Language, English Language and Mathematics from Key Stage 1 to Key Stage 3. With a view to persistently enhancing learning and teaching effectiveness, catering for students' learning diversity as well as strengthening Assessment for Learning and assessment literacy, the platform has been upgraded since October 2020, extending the coverage progressively from Basic Competencies to Full Curriculum of Chinese Language, English Language and Mathematics. Apart from the relatively vast amount of reading assessment tasks for language subjects currently offered, more listening, speaking and writing assessment tasks are encompassed. The assessment items of Mathematics in parallel covers the learning objectives of the Non-foundation Topics (applicable to Key Stage 3) by phases.
To further enhance user experience on the platform, a number of enhanced features have been added on the STAR Platform since October 2020 to enable interested schools to use STAR as school-based formative and summative assessment tools. The related newly-added and enhanced features are as follows:
- Providing split screen display for reading assessment tasks for language subjects
- Open-ended questions added for language subjects
- Teachers can enter / select comments for open-ended questions
- Providing graphical presentation of performance reports
- Supporting listening assessments conducted through centralised / class-based broadcast
- Supporting speaking assessments (including recording and file uploading / downloading)
- Providing the overall correct response percentage of assessment items in a specific time period
- Assessment items cover more question types and formats
- Rating function added in open-ended questions (applicable to Reading, Listening and Speaking assessment tasks of Chinese Language) (Trial Version)
- New graphical presentation of performance reports (Trial Version)
For details, please refer to
Preset Assessment Tasks and Assessment Task Catalogues (Last updated on 7 March 2022)
To facilitate schools' and teachers' use of the STAR platform to enhance students' learning and obtain instant performance analysis, featured Preset Assessment Tasks and Assessment Task Catalogues of Chinese Language, English Language and Mathematics are uploaded to the STAR platform regularly. According to the school-based curriculum or teaching schedule, teachers can select appropriate assessment tasks or directly use these Preset Assessment Tasks, modify them on need basis, and assign them to students as online homework. For details, please refer to the video guide of Use the 'Preset Papers'.
Updated online interactive games of the three respective subjects will also be uploaded to the WLTS platform regularly from September 2020 onwards. As in the end of August 2021, 83 updated online interactive games have been uploaded to the WLTS platform. Teachers may encourage students to learn through the online interactive games at school or / and at home when planning school-based curriculum. Please CLICK HERE for more details of the games.
For enquiries on the operation of STAR and its new and enhanced features, please refer to the 'User Guide' for related guides and videos, or contact Hong Kong Education City (HKEdCity) on 2624 1000 or email@example.com. A series of workshops, seminars and sharing sessions will be jointly organised by the Education Bureau, HKEdCity and the Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority. Please refer to the latest updates on the Training Calendar System and STAR for details.